We at Modern Vinyl like a great self-parody every once in a while. Record Store Day can get carried away with its selection process, so it’s safe to say we did as well. Please enjoy this gallery of our wildest RSD2017 dreams (or nightmares). Mostly nightmares. But hey, it’s okay.
Special thanks to the MV team for having fun with these (fake) entries, Meghin Moore for organizing the list and super good-looking James Cassar for the Photoshop magic, despite frustrating tweets and long nights. (He did not write this.) (Well, maybe he did.)
Hint: Use the gallery. You’ll see all the fun details that way.
The 40th anniversary picture disc tracks….now on more vinyl?
Jack White has done everything within the vinyl world. All that’s left? His last will and testament.
A reissue of the original radio promo.
Continuing in the tradition of great RSD picture disc releases….like Katy Perry and Justin Bieber.
We’ve got the Rockabye Baby version of Vitamin String Quartet songs. We’ve got Vitamin String versions of Rockabye songs.
Mastered from the original tapes. Obviously.
Yeah. It’s gonna happen.
RSD-exclusive KALLAX shelving unit from IKEA (with Charlie Brown comic strip sides), perfect for your brand new Crosley Traveler record player! Lines begin at IKEA now.
The Not-Pictured Top 11:
- Deluxe 4×7″ box set of Miles Davis’ Kind of Blue
- Limited to 10,000 copies on pale blue vinyl
- Certificate of authenticity
- Miley Cyrus and Her Dead Petz Flaming Lips-endorsed 7″ box set
- Contains 12 pieces of rainbow-splatter vinyl
- Front-artwork etching on Side L
- Liner notes foreword by Wayne Coyne
- Bag of glitter to be applied on top of each record with “secret solution” (also included)
- Fleetwood Mac’s recently-rediscovered lost LP Rumours
- Lovingly remastered on 200-gram virgin vinyl
- RSD First reissue of The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus’ Don’t You Fake It
- Select stores include a Hot Topic-branded red jumpsuit
- Bonus 12″ (on red-and-black splatter vinyl) includes all versions of “Face Down”
- Limited to 5,000 copies
- RSD First reissue of Story of the Year’s Page Avenue
- Alongside Virgin Records’ Don’t You Fake It, Page Avenue is ushering in a new RSD series, “Oh, Yeah, That Band!” co-sponsored by Myspace
- Limited to 4,000 copies on black/white split marble vinyl
- Kanye West’s Glow in the Dark Tour: Live from Coachella — 6/14/08
- 4xLP box set on glow-in-the-dark vinyl
- Includes replica Venetian-blind sunglasses
- Hand-numbered out of 10,000 (written in glow-in-the-dark ink)
- Space Jam finally gets the picture-disc treatment!
- B-side features candid shot of Bill Murray
- Limited to 2,300 copies
- Spider-Man 15th anniversary commemorative 7″
- Features the hit singles “Hero” (by Chad Kroeger and Josey Scott) and “Bug Bytes” by Alien Ant Farm
- Limited to 1,000 copies on sticky-web white vinyl
- Pornosonic Featuring Ron Jeremy: Unreleased 70s Porno Music
- 200g virgin vinyl reissue
- Features exclusive felt gatefold jacket with faux chest hair accents
- 69 randomly-inserted packages include a bonus 7″ of smooth jazz
- RPM Turntable Bowling
- Latest entry in Microfiche Records’ “needle-drop games of chance” is fun for the whole family in 10 frames
- Features a second 7″ for bumper bowlers, with a B-side for cosmic bowling (only plays after midnight)
- The Rough Guide To Buttrock
- A continuation of the great Rough Guide RSD series, this entry introduces audiences to bands like Nickelback, Seether, Puddle of Mudd and Staind.
- The release doesn’t come with a digital download, but it does come with a word document filled with the Spotify links for each track.
Got one we missed? Put it in the comments. I’ll give the best one a $25 Amazon gift card.
Tags: Record Store Day 2016